Who we are
Our Story 01
The name Crosswalk is inspired by everyday citizens and leaders who move cities forward — the ones who promote understanding of the issues and drive change. We see you, and we’re here to support your action. Our mission is to make every city-level decision a climate decision.
As former elected officials and data scientists, we’ve seen firsthand how well-informed choices that are grounded in the data can shape communities and affect the environment. We started Crosswalk Labs because we envision communities as the primary drivers of emissions reductions and the center of action.
Our Approach 02
We track greenhouse gas emissions over time with unprecedented resolution — scouring hundreds of data sources, running constrained optimization protocols on billions of data points and benchmarking the results against atmospheric measurements.
We save cities time by providing a detailed, peer-reviewed approach to emissions data validated by atmospheric science — so you know it’s accurate. No more spreadsheets. No more manual processes. Just verifiable metrics you can rely on.
Jason Burnett / Co-founder + CEO
- (Former) Mayor, Carmel-by-the-Sea / (former) Managing Partner, Clean Fund / (former) Associate Deputy Administrator, US EPA / Trustee, David and Lucile Packard Foundation
Dr. Kevin Gurney / Co-founder + CTO
- Professor, School of Informatics, Computing, and Cyber Systems, Northern Arizona University / Lead Author, IPCC / NSF CAREER award recipient
Dr. Phil DeCola / Co-founder + CSO
- Adjunct Professor, University of Maryland Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences Department / (former) Climate Change advisor, White House OSTP / (former) Program Scientist, NASA
Dr. Geoff Roest / Technical Lead
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Northern Arizona University / PhD in Atmospheric Sciences, Texas A&M University / (former) National Academies' Gulf Research Program Science Policy Fellow
Amy Wolkowinsky / Outreach Lead
- Registered Geologist / MS, Purdue University / Affiliate Faculty, Northern Arizona University School of Earth & Sustainability
Dr. Richard Rushforth / Technical Lead
- Assistant Research Professor, School of Informatics, Computing, and Cyber Systems, Northern Arizona University / Industrial Ecology + Data Science / 8+ years advising cities on GHG emissions inventories
Naa Aku Shika Quarshie / Analyst
- MS candidate, Climate Science and Solutions, Northern Arizona University / Graduate Service Assistant, Center for International Education, Northern Arizona University
Special Thanks To:
Northern Arizona University - City of Flagstaff, AZ